Centre for European Studies,
School of International Studies
219 (SIS II)
- Ph.D. (Economic Science), Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, 1994
- M.Phil. (Soviet Studies), School of International Studies, JNU, 1988
- M.A. (Economics), Punjabi University Patiala, 1986.
Areas of Interest/Specialization
- Europe (European economic integration, India-EU)
- Russia and Eurasia (economic transformation, India-Russia, India-Central Asia)
- Eurasian connectivity
- Afghanistan (security, development, regional cooperation)
- South Asia (Indian economy & foreign policy, SAARC)
- Indian Northeast (economic development)
- International Development Policy; Indian Development Cooperation
- Energy Security
- Professor, Centre for European Studies, School of International Studies, JNU (Jan 2009- till date)
- Associate Professor, Centre for European Studies, School of International Studies, JNU (July 2005- Dec 2008)
- Associate Professor, Centre for Russian, Central Asian and East European Studies, School of International Studies, JNU ( July 2001- July 2005)
- Assistant Professor, Centre for Russian, Central Asian and East European Studies, School of International Studies, JNU ( Jan 1998- July 2001)
- Assistant Research Professor, Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi ( May 1995- Jan. 1998)
- Lecturer in Economics, University of Delhi.(1989-90, 1994-95)
- Chairperson: Centre for European Studies, Nov 2013-Nov 2015, Nov 2019- )
- Director, UGC Europe Area Studies Programme ( March 2016- March 2019)
- Director, Energy Studies Programme ( 2014-2016)
- Warden, Tapti Hostel (2000-2012).
Awards & Honours
- Coordinator, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for European Union Studies in India ( awarded by the European Commission, 2018-2021)
- Jean Monnet Chair in European Economic Integration & Energy Security ( awarded by the European Commission, 2016- 2019).
- Editor-in-Chief, International Studies (Sage) (July 2016- )
- Erasmus Visiting Faculty, Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona (May 2018)
- Erasmus Visiting Faculty, University of Warsaw (May 2017, Jan 2016)
- ICCR Chair on Contemporary India, University of Leuven ( Sep-Dec 2014)
- Visiting Professor, Mykolas Romers University, Vilnius, Lithuania (2013)
- Visiting Scholar, Corvinus University of Budapest (Jan-Feb 2012).
- Erasmus Visiting Scholar, Corvinus University of Budapest, Hungary (April- May 2011).
- Visiting Professor, University of Trento, Italy (Dec 2008- Feb 2009).
- Erasmus Mundus Visiting Scholar, University of Antwerp (April-June 2008)
- Visiting Fellow, Cambridge Central Asia Forum, Cambridge University ( 2008)
- Visiting Fellow, Institute for oriental Studies, Almaty, Kazakhstan ( 2004)
- Visiting Fellow. Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow (2002)
- Doctoral Scholarship, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (1991-1994).
Collaborative projects with:
- Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Washington
- New York University
- SAIS, Johns Hopkins University
- Columbia University
- KU Leuven, Belgium
- Univeristy of Warsaw
- Dublin City University, Ireland
- University of Agder, Norway
- Latvia Institute for International Affairs
- Asia Foundation
- Amnesty International Netherlands
- Afghan Institute for Startegic Studies, Kabul
- Korea University, Seoul
- Research Institute on Contemporary Southeast Asia, Bangkok
- External Colloborator, Intermational Labour Organization (ILO) project "Understanding Labour Market Opportunities for Indian Nationals in the EU' ( 2019)
- Team Leader & Regional Cooperation Specialist (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Afghanistan), Asian Development Bank, Kabul (Dec 2006- Feb 2008).
- Regional Cooperation Advisor (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Afghanistan), The Asia Foundation, Kabul (Jan-March 2010).
- Project Director (Economics) Study on Planning for Development and Security in India’s Northeast. This project was undertaken at Institute for Conflict Management New Delhi and financed by Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
Best Peer Reviewed Publications (upto 5)
- Sachdeva, Gulshan ( 2019) (Ed) Challenges in Europe: Indian Perspectives ( Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan)
- Sachdeva, Gulshan (2016) India in a Reconnecting Eurasia (Washington DC: Centre for Strategic & International Studies/Rowman & Littlefield).
- Sachdeva, Gulshan (2015) Evaluation of the EU-India Strategic Partnership and the potential for its Revitalization (Brussels: Foreign Affairs Committee, European Parliament).
- Sachdeva, Gulshan ( 2011) "India's Relations with Russia" in David Scott ( Ed) Handbook of India's International Relations ( London: Routledge)
- Sachdeva, Gulshan (2007) " L’ Europe en Asie du Sud" in Guy Faure and David Hoyrup (Eds) La Presence Economique Eurpeenne en Asie du Sud-Est (Paris : Les Indes Savantes,).
- Sachdeva, Gulshan (2000) The Economy of North-East: Policy, Present Conditions and Future Possibilities, (New Delhi: Konark, 2000).
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books (upto 3)
- Sachdeva, Gulshan (2018) " Indian Perceptions of the Chinese Belt & Road Initiative" International Studies, Vol 55, No.4, pp. 285-296.
- Sachdeva, Gulshan (with Rajendra K Jain) (2019) "India-EU Starategic Partnership:A New Roadmap" Asia-Europe Journal , Vol 17, No.3, pp. 309-325.
- Sachdeva, Gulshan ( 2018) " The Indian Economy: Strategic Consequences of Economic Growth" in Philippe Clerc, Driss Guerraoui & Xavier Richet (Eds) La Nouvelle Economie Mondiale;Comparaisons Internationales ( Paris: L Harmattan)
- Sachdeva, Gulshan ( 2018) The European Union-China Relations" in C V Ranganathan and Sanjeev Kumar (Eds) China an dthe Eurasian Region ( New Delhi: Vij Books, pp 141-167)