B. R. Panda
School of Biotechnology
- University of Oxford, Oxford, UK: D.Phil.
- University of Delhi, New Delhi, India: M.Sc.
Areas of Interest/Specialization
Data integration and Genomic medicine.
Building and optimizing tools for high-throughput data, especially genomics data.
Metabolic engineering of secondary metabolites.
Biodiversity genomics and informatics.
Open science and dissemination of knowledge to the wider society.
- Professor: School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Visiting Professor: Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark.
- Visiting Researcher: University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Awards & Honours
- American Cancer Society Junior-Post-Doctoral Fellowship, USA.
- Felix Scholarship, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- Graduate Research Fellowship, St. Anne’s College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- Radhakrishnan Memorial Bequest Award, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- Dr. Lars Rønn Olsen, DTU, Denmark
- Professor S. Ishikawa: University of Tokyo School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
- Professor G. Black: University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Best Peer Reviewed Publications
- Campbell BR, Chen Z, Faden DL, Agrawal N, Li RJ, Hanna GJ, Iyer NG, Boot A, Rozen SG, Vettore AL, Panda B, Krishnan NM, Pickering CR, Myers JN, Guo X, Lang Kuhs KA: The mutational landscape of early- and typical-onset oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma. The mutational landscape of early‐ and typical‐onset oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer. 127(4):544-553. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.33309 (2021).
- Krishnan NM, Mohanraj I and Panda B: CAFE MOCHA: An Integrated Platform for Discovering Clinically Relevant Molecular Changes in Cancer-An Example of Distant Metastasis- and Recurrence-Linked Classifiers in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JCO – Clinical Cancer Informatics; https://doi.org/10.1200/CCI.17.00045 (2018).
- Palve V, Bagwan J, Krishnan NM, Pareek M, Chandola U, Suresh A, Siddappa G, James BL, Kekatpure V, Kuriakose MA and Panda B: Detection of High-Risk Human Papillomavirus in Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma Using Multiple Analytes and Their Role in Patient Survival. Journal of Global Oncology (JCO Global Oncology); https://doi.org/10.1200/JGO.18.00058 (2018).
- Krishnan NM, Dhas K, Nair J, Palve V, Bagwan J, Siddappa G, Suresh A, Kekatpure V, Kuriakose MA and Panda B: A Minimal DNA Methylation Signature in Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma Links Altered Methylation with Tumor Attribute. Molecular Cancer Research; Online First on June 10. https://doi.org/10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-15-0395 (2016).
- Krishnan NM, Gupta S, Palve V, Varghese L, Pattnaik S, Jain P, Khyriem C, Hariharan A, Dhas K, Nair J, Pareek M, Prasad V, Siddappa G, Suresh A, Kekatpure V, Kuriakose MA and Panda B: Integrated analysis of oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma identifies key variants and pathways linked to risk habits, HPV, clinical parameters and tumor recurrence. F1000Res. November 4. https://f1000research.com/articles/4-1215/v1 (2015).
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books
- Panda B: Big Data and Cancer Biology. Edited Vol. in Big Data Analytics, Springer, Pyne et al. (eds.), Big Data Analytics, pp 259-276,ISBN: 978-81-322-3626-9. https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9788132236269 (2014).
- Krishnan NM and Panda B: In Genomic Medicine Principles and Practice. Second Edition. Edited by D. Kumar and C. Eng. Oxford University Press, USA, ISBN: 978-0-19-989602-8, http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/med/9780199896028.003.0006 (2016)
Newspaper OpEd and Popular Science Articles (upto 5)
- The coming 75 years. The Hindu, 17 Aug 2022. https://tinyurl.com/36cfrb7m
- AlphaFold: A tour de force in science. The Hindu, 2 Aug 2022. https://tinyurl.com/45dpsmub
- Establishing India's Apple. The Hindu, 13 Jan 2022. https://tinyurl.com/2e7hkk76
- Science and technology is Central to a strong and lasting Indo-US ties. Hindustan Times, 26 Jul 2021. https://tinyurl.com/2d5cav88
- Can India leverage data to conquer cancer? Hindustan Times, Jun 19, 2021. https://tinyurl.com/yd9ryvjc
Patents (if any)