Ph.D. (International Studies, JNU, 1992),
M.Phil. (International Studies, JNU, 1987),
M.A. (Political Science, 1985),
B.A. (History, Hons., 1983),
Language Proficiency: English, French, Hindi
International Relations, African Affairs, Diaspora Studies, Indian Migration, Indo-African Relations, Development Issues and Political Science.
Professor (since 2000-till date, JNU).
Associate Professor (1995-2000, JNU),
Reader (1992-1995, IRMA)
2011-2013 Chairperson Centre for African Studies, SIS, JNU
2009-2011 Director, UGC Centre for African Studies, SIS, JNU
2007-2009 Chairperson, Centre for West Asia and African Studies, SIS, JNU
2003-2005 Director, Francophone Sub-Saharan Studies, SIS, JNU
2001-2003 Chairperson, Centre for West Asia and African Studies, SIS, JNU
Research Projects (2)
Principal Investigator: Major Research Project Team under UPE II on ‘Diaspora in Development: Comparative Assessment of Harnessing Globalisation’, 2014-2019
Completed UGC Major Research Project as Principal Investigator on ‘India and Indian Diaspora in Africa’ at CAS/SIS/JNU, 2010-13
1. Invited as Visiting Faculty at Global Studies programme of Aarhus University, Denmark May-June 2016
2. Invited as Visiting Professor, University of Kansai, Japan, May - July 2014.
3. Invited as a Visiting Resource Person at Centre for Federal Studies, University of Addis Ababa to deliver a series of lectures on ‘Comparative Federal Political System’, June - July 2011.
4. Invited as a Visiting Resource Person at Institute for Peace and Security Studies, University of Addis Ababa to deliver a series of lectures on ‘Federalism and Nation-building in Multi-ethnic Society’, April 2011.
5. Invited as a Visiting Fellow at Department of Anthropology, Rhodes University, South Africa, May 2008.
6. Invited as ICCR Distinguished Professor to deliver a series of lectures and conduct workshop on ‘African and Indian Diasporas: A Comparative Perspective’ and on ‘Challenges of Indian Diaspora in 21st Century’ by University of West Indies, May - June 2001.
1. Research Collaboration with Department of Economics, Kansai University on ‘State of African Studies in Asia’.
2. Research Collaboration with Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany on ‘Africa’s Asia Option’ (AFRASO) project/.
3. External Member for Ph.D. supervision for University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
4. Member, Research Committee on ‘African and Asian Diasporas’, WADIS, South Korea.
5. International Academic Coordinator, Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO International).
1. "Looking West: Africa" in Handbook of India’s International Relations, ed. by David Scott, pp. 189-200. Routledge, UK, 2011.
2. "India and the Indian Diaspora" in Handbook of India’s International Relations, ed. by David Scott, pp. 255-264. Routledge, UK, 2011.
3. "Resurgent Africa's engagement with India, China and the Third World" (co-authored with Nivedita Ray) in Engaging with a Resurgent Africa ed. by Jorg Shultz and M. Chand, pp. 64-75. ORF-Macmillan, 2009.
4. "Indian Diaspora in Africa Changing Policies of India" in Indians Abroad ed. by S. D. Singh and Mahavir Singh, pp. 153-171. HI, Greenwitch Millenium, 2003.
5. "Parliament in Mauritius" International Studies (SIS Journal, JNU), 31 (2): 139-169.
1. Book Series Editor, “Africa’s Global Engagement: Perspectives from Emerging Countries”, by Palgraves-Macmillan, Nature Springer
2. Editor-in-Chief: Africa Review, Quarterly refereed journal, under SCOPUS and Web of Science, Brill, Netherlands.
3. Editor- in-Chief: Diaspora Studies, Quarterly refereed journal, under SCOPUS and Web of Science, Brill, Netherlands.
4. Editor-in- Chief: Insight on Africa: A Journal of Contemporary African Affairs, under SCOPUS and Web of Science, bi-annual refereed journal, Sage Publications.
5. Chief Editor: Journal of Global Diaspora Studies, World Association of Diaspora Studies (WADIS), South Korea.